No Town of Indian Land

This is not the time


Donations are not tax deductible.

Impact of Police Services

  • Currently, on almost a daily basis, deputies from District 2 assist deputies from District 1 (Indian Land) with calls for service on the lower end of District 1. Depending on where the incorporation line is drawn, this could have a significant effect on the required manpower.
  • Currently, Deputies in District 1 do not work traffic collisions. It is the responsibility of the South Carolina Highway Patrol to respond to accidents within the unincorporated areas of the county. Upon incorporation, traffic collisions would become an additional responsibility of the proposed municipality that would likely require additional manpower.
  • VTOIL’s budget figures do not include narcotics investigators, crime scene investigators, additional investigators, training, professional standards, records, and other support functions of the Sheriff’s Office. Contracting with the Sheriff’s Office would allow the incorporated area to have the benefit of the Sheriff’s Offices support functions. Creating a new law enforcement agency would require the creation of these services.
  • Inmate Per Diem- Currently the County of Lancaster charges the City of Lancaster for City inmates who are housed at the Detention Center. The Town of Heath Springs and the Town of Kershaw are not charged because they are contracted with the Sheriff’s Office. The 2015 rate was $33.43 per inmate/per day. In 2015, the City of Lancaster paid $44,994 to house inmates.
  • Municipal Court-In order for an incorporated area to collect fines associated with criminal or traffic citations written by deputies within the limits of the incorporation, there must be a municipal court. If there is no municipal court, all fines collected will pass through the magistrate’s office.
  • Additionally, the municipal court must be able to provide coverage for bond hearings for criminal charges made within the incorporated area. If a deputy arrests someone within the incorporated area, he/she can book the case to either municipal court or the magistrate’s court. If the case is booked to the municipal court, a municipal judge must set the bond at the detention center. If there is no municipal court or municipal judge, the case must be booked to the magistrate’s court which again means all fines associated with the criminal charge will pass through the magistrate’s office.